Honduras Missions

The Ritchie Family / Children's Lighthouse

Friday, January 2, 2009

A Day of Fun

A Day of Fun,
After a sweet church service we let the kids light sparklers. Barry Jr lit a few cheap home grown fireworks sold here. 2x the fun of those sold in the USA but much much more dangerous. Even I am scared of them, so that should say something.


The next morning we loaded up the whole family and went to the beach for a day of rest and fun. Our 5 new children have already had many new firsts since arriving. They lived in the mountain and could see the ocean in the far distance…but did not know what it was until Jan 1st 2009. After a few moments hesitation standing on the beach in amazement, they had never seen so much water, they took to it like fish. Lenin and Kathy wore me out every time they caught me they wanted me to throw them in. Kathy is going to be a handful she is full of zeal and excess. I am now paying the price for the “rest” I got yesterday on my birthday…it official I’m getting old. What do you do on a 95 degree day on the beach when you watch a man struggle and push an ice-cream cart a mile down a deserted sandy beach in hopes you will buy something because he thought your family was a “large group”. And you have 5 of 18 children who have never had ice-cream bars? Buy it of course. Patricia has also worked her way deep into Lisa’s heart. All of the children affect us differently all have different needs and desires. Patricia is our first truly orphaned child and she wants to be part of a real family. In a quiet time on the beach she had asked Lisa, “Will you please be my real mommy?” All of the children we take in as our own, but she needs a little extra assurance. So Lisa and I are going to inquire about making it legal and adopting her. Near the end of the day some men in a small fishing boat paddled ashore where we were because their motor was out and boat was leaking. They offered to sell us their catch, so Lisa bought 25lbs of fish for $7. Not exactly a milk cart broken down like George Muller of old, but it will do just fine. Thank You Lord, Today we will have fish. Amen.
As I sat on the beach resting in the shade. I thought the whole world is going crazy, but in this third world country, in this one little spot, for this one moment in time, it was peaceful and joyful. Thank You LORD.




Isaiah 26:3


Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
Trust ye in the LORD for ever…


an unworthy servant to a Worthy Saviour,
Barry Ritchie

2 Comments:

At January 2, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Ritchie!

Thanks for posting...I'm glad you all had a great time! Just looking at the pictures and reading the post makes me wish I was there right now. Can't wait til we come down in Feb. Say hi to all the kids for me.

May God Bless you all.
Love and Prayers

 
At January 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Blogger Susanna said...

Praise God for how the 5 new kids are adjusting!! It was very sweet to see how Patricia is loving Lisa as her "real" Mommy! You're in our thoughts and prayers... Tell the kids that I said "hi" and miss them.. Lord-willing we'll see you all again someday!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View Larger Map